25 August 2007

Finally..an Answer





I think we figured it out. Trent has been down a rough road with his digestive system. Yesterday, with the help of the doctor, we made the decision to stick to formula exclusively. Of course, I have been quite sad about not breast feeding him. I feel like a total failure. Trent's digestive system is having a difficult time with breast milk for some reason and we really don't have a choice.

Yes, its very rare to have a child with difficulties in digesting breast milk. In fact, breastmilk is supposed to be the most easily digested thing there is. However, early on, Trent and I had thrush, a yeast infection in his mouth, that started the real issues with feedings. The yeast caused constipation and aggrevated his acid reflux. Enough is enough now. I have to admit, today, the second day of all formula, is proving the doctor's point. He had a decent night and a fabulous morning. He has been awake longer than he ever has, his straining and struggling has been drastically reduced, and he even laughed with his Granddaddy this morning. I just hope this is the fix we've been looking for. He will go for his two month check up in about two weeks. I guess we shall see.

Today, we went with Scott to exercise in Haddonfield. Trent and I walked to Starbucks for some exercise, while Scott ran his typical course. Trent was actually awake the entire time. He saw trees, houses, and people. As usual, he was quite popular while we were out. Everyone in line at Starbucks wanted to play with him and get him to smile for them. He obliged and enjoyed the attention.

Upon our return, Granddaddy got him to laugh and smile too. I am super happy that I bring the camera wherever I go now. Trent was a joyful little man. Here are some of the shots I captured.