09 September 2010

Trent's First Day of School


I couldn't help but cry talking about it. I had to cry at least three times before it was finally alright in my heart and my mind that Trent was heading off to Pre School this morning. Scott and I sat watching Trent play on the couch last night and the elephant in the room could not be ignored. We were both very sad that our little boy had grown so fast, but both knew exciting times were ahead. I think I cry because I want to keep him safe from the world and the parts of it that are unfair. I get upset because, like any mom would, I want him to constantly smile, always laugh, and never feel alone.

Until we actually left him at school, my vision of the drop off was very dramatic. All I could think about was him playing happily in the corner and then realizing a few minutes later that we had left him. Clearly, I rationalized that he would feel abandoned and that he was too young to go. I convinced myself he would never forgive me. Reality, this morning, was completely different.

I took the day off from work to share this moment with Scott and Trent. When we woke up, Trent wanted to shower (yeah) and get dressed. I put him in his new school clothes and he had breakfast. I was nervous all morning. I went into picture mode so that I could cope. Snapped a zillion pics of the kid. Messed most of them up, but got a few.

Then it was off to school for us.



We walked in and my heart melted when I saw his name on the wall, and cubby, and birthday board. I remembered why I had picked Buttonwood PreSchool over the others and noticed Scott was completely at ease too.




Trent went immediately to play with the other kids in the kitchen area. Soon, as I talked to the director of the tiny little place, I could hear Trent and the kids discussing donuts and sand. I felt safe and knew he did too. After a few minutes, Scott and I left him there. We didn't say goodbye because the handout from school said not to. I didn't cry when we walked out the door.


Yes, I know I can't always protect him. I am positive there will be things that are way beyond my control. But, right now, this morning, as I tear up and type, I know Trent is going to have an awesome life and love school and friends just as much as we did. Man. I will say it again. Time flies.