02 February 2011

Blog Award



So, my faithful reader, and friend, over at Cedar Fern, gave me this I Heart This Blog award. I am pretty honored to have such a label from her since I consider her to outrank me completely in the interesting and cool looking blog arena. In fact, I have toyed with having a more in depth blog that focuses more on tips and stuff I pick up, rather than just pictures of my sons and their progression. But, I digress and Trent is Cute will probably stay the same until the boys are bigger. In keeping with the I Heart This Blog spirit, I have to now post 7 things about me for your reading pleasure. Although my readership is mostly friends and tons of family, who are already familiar with my ridiculousness, I am hopeful that this list doesn't bore you terribly...here we go.

Seven Things About Me: Not Sappy Things

1. I always said I didn't want children. I figured I should start out with this one since it seems utterly preposterous to say such a thing on a blog that is for my child, about my child, and is about nothing more than loving my child.( I teach middle school too).Trent is my entire life and I am enjoying all the triumphs and trials that he has brought with him to the world. I am also excited about having the new baby to hold and love in a few weeks. But, growing up, and into my mid 20's, I was notorious for saying that I would give my child to my parents and continue living life. My how things change.




2. I can instantly translate any sentence into Pig Latin. Yes, that's right people. Ouyay eardhey itay erhey, Iay ovelay igpay atinlay. I think it started in like 8th grade when my friend Cynthia and I didn't want those pesky boys meddling in our business and in our conversations about them. So, we took up Pig Latin and it stuck...almost for too long. We spoke that way for so long it was almost as if English became our second language. Recently, Scott has had an interest in my special talent and laughs at just how quickly I can speak it and translate it. It was his idea to include this in my list. He must be so proud! Ah, the useless things I know. Maybe that would be an interesting blog to start one day, " All the Useless Crap I Know."



3. I love cooking. Another thing I never took interest in as a younger adult or kid was cooking. I didn't like to look at cookbooks nor did I care what went into special sauces or family traditions. Maybe it works in conjunction with becoming a mom, but I now totally adore cooking. The mess and the recipe relax me. The thought of people loving my food gives me pride and a sense of accomplishment. Even more is the rush of something coming out just the way it did on the Food Network or Cooking Channel. No, I don't like Rachel Ray anymore; I am into simple, but good food, that makes an impact without a million ingredients and a hefty price tag. Now, I like cooking food that reminds me of being a kid or watching my mom cook. Trent cooks with me now and we listen to music while we dream up our dinners. Wonderful memories.


4. I research EVERYTHING thoroughly...like almost to the point of obsession. Chances are if it is out there, I have read it and scrutinized it and checked it for validity. I have poured over it, worried about it, Googled it, compared it, price checked it, hunted it, and talked about it ad nauseam. For some reason, I don't do much unless I have read about it first, especially when it comes to Scott, Trent/Baby 2 or my job or technology. I am a fact checker and a hearsay destroyer, which is not always a good thing to be in a conversation with friends or family. I think what I enjoy most about gathering all the research is the idea that I am now most informed on the arguments that could come out, or the misconceptions of those who do one sided research just to support their points. Really, in my research fits, I check out both sides and come to a conclusion based on the valid sources. Yep, it makes life's everyday processes quite long and it really isn't an endearing quality. But, there is a bright side, you can ask me about anything and I will help you come to a conclusion based on the research. Its like having a living encyclopedia at your finger tips.



5. Technology is my thing. I have an insatiable passion for technology and knowing how things work.I am a Gadget Gatherer with a mission to have things first and use them fast ( and research them frquently). I appreciate the wonders of technology and the impact it has on society. At work, I force the kids to explore technology's benefits and at home I am creating a techie like myself. Trent's future will be so awesome! I am jealous! I teach in-services about newest technologies in education and run a support service for teachers at a website called NBC Tech Nerds. Technology teaches me how to take pictures, stay organized, and even become a better mom. I believe in the power technology and the change it can bring to our lives if we allow it.

6. I like Spam. I am not afraid to admit it. I have had and enjoyed Spam off and on in these 33 years of my life. Let me clarify: I do NOT eat it every day, nor would I want to do so. Please don't begin serving it when I come to your house or make Spam references when choosing menus. However, there is a time and place for Spam; namely, on my mom's version of Egg McMuffins, that she makes for me once in awhile. It has an appeal that makes most turn their noses up about, but that is only for those who have not had it properly prepared. Please, come to my house and have the breakfast sandwich with Spam. I am inviting/challenging you. You won't be sorry.

7. I enjoy working at work and at home. Working is not work for me. I love my job and my students and all the quirkiness of public education. I like the idea of being busy at home and at work. I feel most happy when I have a "productive" morning or a "teachable moment." Don't get me wrong, I like down time too, but being busy is part of my life right now. When I can take care of everything , everything is in its place, and everyone in my house and all my students are settled , I am fulfilled- not overwhelmed.

And now for who to nominate...drum roll please... this is tough since I would have nominated Cedar Fern and the others on my list I have been reading forever...still, with a little cheating...

The Reif Boys is a blog that brings me smiles and tears and is written by a wonderfully dedicated mom.

The Farrar Family has really stepped it up since their second daughter arrived. A new look and some fun stories.

Lauren Schwarz Photography is fairly new to blogging, but this lady has an amazing talent and a way with words.

Yay, Blogs! Ladies, follow these directions to award your friends:

1.Thank and link the person who gave it to you.

2. Write 7 things about yourself.

3. Nominate new bloggers you read.

4. Contact those bloggers about the award!